October is Fire Prevention Month. The goal is to raise awareness about fire safety and to help ensure preparation should an emergency occur. In a community association, a fire in one unit impacts more than just that unit. Often times there is smoke and/or water damage to adjacent units – especially in an apartment style condominium building. It’s also that time of year where furnaces are started up for the season and carbon monoxide poisoning becomes a concern. According to First Alert’s website:
- 3 of every 5 home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no working smoke alarms
- Less than 50% of homeowners have an escape plan
- Carbon monoxide (CO) is the #1 cause of accidental death
- 60% of consumers do not test their smoke and CO alarms monthly
- Only 47% of people report having CO alarms in their home.
This month, consider reaching out to your members to discuss fire safety – including testing alarms, changing batteries, upgrading old alarms, and escape planning.