Who said spring cleaning had to wait until the warmer months? Winter is a great time to get your home organized. There isn’t typically an abundance of space in a townhome or condo, however, so keeping your space organized can be difficult when there isn’t much room for storage. These tips should help keep your space free of clutter!
- Get rid of items you no longer use or want. It’s easy to keep accumulating things, and we often don’t notice until there’s too much stuff. Throwing away or donating your unwanted items is the best place to start when getting things organized.
- Store things upwards. Rather than buying a short, horizontal shelf, choose the tall, vertical shelf that takes up less room. This is a much better way to utilize space!
- Raise the beds. This is often done in dorm rooms to make more space for storage—by raising the beds, you’ll have space to put totes and other storage items.
- Keep functionality in mind. Your dresser can likely double as a TV stand in your bedroom, for example!
- Create zones. The living room doesn’t have to be just a room to hangout in—add a small kitchen table in the corner if there isn’t room for one in the kitchen, or create a home office in an unused area of your bedroom, for example.
- Use fridge space. The top of the fridge is a great home for cookbooks, pots, bowls, and even decorations. If you have a blender that you use every few weeks, for instance, keep it on top of the fridge rather than taking up counter space.
- Use the back of doors. Hanging caddies and even simple hooks can help keep a room organized, especially bathrooms with minimal room around the sink.
- Maximize closet space. If there’s room for it, putting your dresser in the closet can save you a lot of space in your bedroom. Place seasonal clothes in bins and keep them on shelves until it’s time to swap out your wardrobe for the new season!
It’s a good idea to de-clutter a few times a year, typically once every season. This prevents the accumulation of unnecessary items and can keep your home looking organized and clean. Just because you have a small space doesn’t mean that you can’t have all the items you need—it just takes a bit of creativity to fit it all in.